« Home | "lower the emergency donkey pinata" » | Love all of the people, but I don't know their names » | "an otherworldly being so terrible that it can nev... » | Having trouble believing I'm awake right now » | "a pained no-no-no-please-stop camel-wheeze" » | Look busy » | Uncertainty » | You just gotta have it, just to know it / And set ... » | The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, i... » | Every year, exactly this time of year » 

Friday, November 10, 2006 

Let's do it right, now

Feel good hits of the 9th of November, 2006:

Robyn - "Bum Like You"
Electric Six - "I Buy The Drugs"
The Velvet Underground - "Sunday Morning"
COIL - "Fire of the Mind"
Cracker - "I Hate My Generation"
Readymade - "Hamburg (Live)"
Hood - "Closure"
The Salteens - "Bubba Da"
Superchunk - "Unbelievable Things"
Pavement - "Ann Don't Cry"

(I go through phases of listening to that Robyn album constantly, and this time I've decided "Bum Like You" may actually rival "Be Mine!")

(the live, extremely low fidelity recording of "Hamburg" I have is tonally a very different song than the original, but just as wonderful)

Despite all the darkness, drugs, death rattle and feedback which follows it on The Velvet Underground & Nico, I think 'Sunday Morning' may just be my favourite track on the album.

Oh, hang on, is it 'I'm Waiting For My Man'?

Either way, blinding song.

I hate to be totally predictable, but I think it's still "Heroin" for me.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates