« Home | "My God, what have I done?" » | Empty orchestra » | We live in science fiction » | Good will to all » | "Remember that 'nothing happens' is, grammatically... » | I look down at my hands, like they were mirrors » | Yunisleysis, Osdaylys, Jessenias » | In one piece » | You've laughed in my mouth too » | "We follow Mr. Santa to the end" » 

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 

Better than a jetpack

I've been following the story of the $100 laptop for a while, and I'm terribly pleased it seems to be actually happening. For anyone who hasn't seen previous posts, this isn't about giving us cheaper computers, it's about making information technology accessible to children in poorer parts of the world. Even better, it's not based upon existing OSs:

"In fact, one of the saddest but most common conditions in elementary school computer labs (when they exist in the developing world), is the children are being trained to use Word, Excel and PowerPoint," Mr Negroponte said.

"I consider that criminal, because children should be making things, communicating, exploring, sharing, not running office automation tools."

It is incredibly cool, but better than a jetpack? You must have missed the jetpack guy in the Rose Parade yesterday - he left me jonesin' for personal aerial transportation.

The open source ideas behind the $100 laptop are great - good call on that bit. But I still want a jetpack. Or a hoverboard.

I did say "better," not "cooler." I love the idea of a jetpack, but I'd be hard pressed to say it'd make the world a better place.

It would make MY world a better place!

But seriously, the Utopian idealist in me actually jumping up and down over this development. That anyone, in this age of capitalist excess, has put the time, effort and money into making this a reality warms the cockles of my heart. And I have some cold cockles, let me tell you.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates