« Home | Yunisleysis, Osdaylys, Jessenias » | In one piece » | You've laughed in my mouth too » | "We follow Mr. Santa to the end" » | I'd like to believe this » | And it hurts with every heartbeat » | (R)evolution » | Warm and fuzzy » | And I'm all hooked up » | Slapper » 

Thursday, December 21, 2006 

I look down at my hands, like they were mirrors

The bus actually took less time on the way back than it was supposed to - instead of 10:40 I got into Guelph at 9:15. Sweet. So Aaron and I tried to go see the new Rocky (the first Rocky movie I've wanted to see, and given how well it worked out with the first Bond movie I wanted to see...) but it was sold out. Perhaps unsurprisingly given the length, I had some really great musical moments on the way back:

- driving through endless wheeling flocks of birds during the second half of the Mountain Goats' "New Monster Avenue," one of those wordlessly perfect marriages of sound and image; the birds didn't take off until the song started, and they were all gone once it finished

- the approach to Niagara Falls, with all the barren deciduous trees covered in lights (a surprisingly gorgeous and strange effect) to Alfie's "Manor House Farm" and then the actual, always-stunning Falls at night, lit with coloured lights, to "Montevideo" by the same band - at one point the lights were changing colour in time with the soothing synthesizer tone that runs through the song

- hearing Songs: Ohia's "The Black Crow" for the very first time (I found The Lioness in a used record store for $5 in Ithaca) on an elevated highway above St. Catherines, Jason Molina singing "I look down / and see the whole world / and it's fading" as lights slowly turn off and on

Definitely a better trip than the one down there, and thanks again to K for putting me up (and putting up with me). Ithaca has at least one thing over Guelph; I have rarely eaten as well as I did while I was on vacation, and although this has little to do with the city I also have never relaxed so hard. I'm going to hit the sack now, postponing actual substantial blogging until later (and there are thing to be mentioned, oh yes), but I am more well rested than I have been in months.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates