« Home | An idea » | Snack machine adventures » | All of the time » | "I try not to think about it." » | We desire disorder » | 1/64th » | The fixed smile of the serious addict » | What you call the disease, I call the remedy » | "After that, there's going to be a Situation." » | Can you hear it at all? » 

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 

"Inarguable nuthatch"

Great interview with Warren Ellis about his upcoming novel Crooked Little Vein:

This all started when I inherited a literary agent upon signing with the Writers And Artists agency in LA for film and tv work, years ago. Unbeknownst to me, W&A had a lit agency in New York, and one day Lydia Wills phoned me up to tell me that, now I was with W&A, she was my lit agent, and when was I going to write her a novel to sell? This went on for months. I nearly had her legs broken twice. Until, one day, I thought to myself, let's just shut her up. And I sat down and wrote the first ten thousand words of an utterly unsaleable novel. I figured I could recycle the material into comics later. So I handed her this horror of a thing, complete with Godzilla Bukkake scene, and said, take this and leave me alone.

Thinking, obviously, that she'd decide I was insane and never bug me again.

Two weeks later, she phoned to tell me she'd sold it to Harper Collins in New York.

It's one of the more epic backfires of my career, Chris.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates