« Home | Read the alt-text » | Better than a jetpack » | "My God, what have I done?" » | Empty orchestra » | We live in science fiction » | Good will to all » | "Remember that 'nothing happens' is, grammatically... » | I look down at my hands, like they were mirrors » | Yunisleysis, Osdaylys, Jessenias » | In one piece » 

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 

Oh my world, you really can thrill me

Feel good hits of the 3rd of January, 2007:

Six By Seven - "New Year"*
Tamas Wells - "The Opportunity Fair"
TV on the Radio - "Wolf Like Me"**
My Majestic Star - "You Greet Me With Night Laughter"
Low - "Violent Past"***
Tindersticks - "Chilitetime"
Bloc Party - "Song For Clay (Disappear Here)"****
Massive Attack - "Live With Me"
Bertine Zietlitz - "Obsession"
Richard Hawley - "The Ocean"

*(Yes, my traditional New Year's Day airing of one of my favourite songs ever.)
**(I never came around to most of the album (and some of the comparisons people have made strike me as truly bizarre), but I did finally begin to realise the glory of this single. Someone wrote that it is a great getting-ready-to-go-out song, and they were precisely right.)
***(Holy shit is the forthcoming Drums and Guns fantastic. I thought I loved The Great Destroyer (and I did), but at this early date I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Drums and Guns will be in my top 3 for 2007, possibly even #1.)
****(I'm not entirely sure yet, but I think I might like the next Bloc Party album. Listening to it while circling around the wrong route on the bus might have helped, weirdly enough.)

I can't wait for the real Bloc Party, the good quality one.

Also, the new version of "Murderer" on this Low is quite cool, but bursting my eardrums via Bose, as is the rest of the album. Constant thick, invasive but still cool humming!

...new version? There was an old version?

I listened to Drums and Guns on headphones for the first time yesterday, and I love the way all the vocals come from the right side, although I don't know if that'll be in the final mix.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates