« Home | A vast psychological experiment » | "After much deliberation, Achewood has come out in... » | So, of course, almost no one knew » | Power suit » | Unrelated » | The brain is a muscle » | I know you'll be fine » | Subverting the hetero-normative paradigm » | You greet me with night laughter » | Public service » 

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 

They're not all jokes

I've always liked Craig Ferguson on the Late, Late Show, although I'm busy enough I basically just catch snippets on YouTube these days. Kudos to CBS for putting up the full 12 minutes of him talking about why he won't make fun of Britney Spears right now and AA. Among many great things about the clip, I do really like the way he continually insists he's not speaking for anyone else or trying to correct or judge anyone else's behaviour. Like any good Stoic (and what is AA if not a focused and successful application of Aurelius and Epictetus?), Ferguson knows that the only person's shit he can look after is his own, and if he takes care of that others will follow, or they won't.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates