« Home | I know you'll be fine » | Subverting the hetero-normative paradigm » | You greet me with night laughter » | Public service » | "to ward off decades of bad luck" » | Busy doing nothing » | Feel my breath on your neck » | Don't panic dept. » | Intestinal tug-of-war » | Damn near broke my heart » 

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 

The brain is a muscle

Kids do better when they think their performance in school tasks is related to effort (something they can control) rather than natural intelligence (something they can't). There's a fascinating article on it here.

I came across that article the other day and thought that it was really interesting. My parents praised my efforts, but I was also told by my teachers and other adults how smart I was. My parents praised us not for getting good results, but for achieving the most possible with what we had going in. So now, my feelings of inadequacy are not about not being smart enough, but of not doing my best because I'm not working hard enough, and feeling guilty about wasting what effort I do put in.

I definitely identified with the kids who are told they're smart and so as a result shy away from things they find difficult... I can't remember how my parents and teachers praised me, exactly, but I do remember thinking "I'm smart, so if I can't do this without very much work it's not worth doing" or some line of bullshit like that.

I'd place very good money on my particular strain of perfectionism arising from that.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates