« Home | Oh Hugh, it'll never happen » | A sequence of events » | Almost physical pain » | Oh my God, it doesn't mean a lot to you » | Cheer up, emo kid » | We're half-awake » | My words are just punches » | A cardboard cut-out of a plane on fire » | Unknown pleasures » | Focus » 

Thursday, April 12, 2007 

B.C. was shit anyways

In the midst of a sort-of eulogy for Johnny Hart, Frankie Thomas drops some real insight:

Side note: I loved Calvin and Hobbes. For the lonely, precocious children of the Calvin and Hobbes generation -- and I suspect we are legion -- it's impossible to convey how profoundly we were affected by Bill Watterson's genius. Like my mother with the Beatles, I can't even talk about it without a dangerous amount of tears and introspection. So I won't try here, except to say that Watterson was to newspaper comics what Stephen Sondheim was to musical theatre. Show me someone around my age with a huge vocabulary, and I'll show you a childhood Calvin and Hobbes fan.

This is true. And it's about all that's valuable I'm getting from his passing, as opposed to Kurt Vonnegut's, which makes me very sad.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates