« Home | Almost physical pain » | Oh my God, it doesn't mean a lot to you » | Cheer up, emo kid » | We're half-awake » | My words are just punches » | A cardboard cut-out of a plane on fire » | Unknown pleasures » | Focus » | Wait behind, wait behind » | Sing, goddess, the rage of Achilles » 

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 

A sequence of events

(all times subjectively true)

~5:00 am: Finish revising paper, at long last. Set alarm for 8 am. Go to bed.

6:17 am: Hear my brother's voice in the front room, realise I have nearly two hours left to sleep. Praise God.

8:00 am (estimated): Turn off alarm without waking up.

9:30 am: MA Philosophy Conference 2007 begins.

10:22 am: Get phone call from Brynna, wondering if I'm okay. Panic. Shave, shower, dress, get bus.

11:00 am: Get to conference. Note that no-one else seems to mind; continue to stress out anyway.

1:00 pm: Run to Ontarion office, print out papers, run back to conference room.

2:30 pm: Give paper. It goes well. Questions are plentiful and intelligent. Friends and people from Philosophy of Art class I TA show up.

3:00 pm: Slump in chair, enormous weight lifted.

4:00-7:30 pm: Beer.

"4:00-7:30 pm: Beer."

That this has a finishing time concerns me. What interrupted you? It better have been something big!

(Congrats Ian)

You made it! Glad it went well (eventually). Raise another one for me today.

Yay Ian! Congrats! Welcome back to normal-paced life again!

Actually Jonathan, what interrupted that was both a lack of cash and the fact that we all still have marking/writing to do.

Thanks to all of you, although I hasten to add that this doesn't mean a return to normal-paced life... I have to mark about 40 papers for tomorrow, and I've got a big article due at Stylus as well. And of course, the thesis still looms over my life.

But yeah, thanks again - and Erik, I'm going out with friends from the student newspaper today, so another one will be risen, trust me.

Congratulations! I think you ought to buy Brynna a beer, too...

I would have, but she was driving.

Congrats sir.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates