« Home | The Sand Witch » | Me me me » | A cry for help, a hint of anaesthesia » | People are like suns » | D'awwwwwwww » | Teach your children well » | Is anything? » | Who will lie for him now? » | Time can take its toll on the best of us » | Lethal force is never simple » 

Friday, September 07, 2007 

Blow your mongrel mind, or, how I stopped worrying and learned to love TV on the Radio

I was pretty underwhelmed by Return to Cookie Mountain when it came out and for a long time afterwards; then the DJ at the Albion started playing "Wolf Like Me" on Thursday nights and I decided that even if the album was boring that song was awesome. He played it last night, too; rarely does anything make me dance harder.

When we got a copy of the album at the store, my love for "Wolf Like Me" had me grab it long enough to play. This time all of the songs - ones I hadn't heard for months and didn't like last time I did - sounded great. "Wolf Like Me" is a powerful song, but not that powerful, and it's not as if I remembered what the others sounded like during the interim months when I wasn't listening. It's kind of an odd thing to have happen.

I'm glad you've come round.

I love this album, but I find that I don't need to hear it that often. Usually that's a bad thing; with this one though, it means that it still has the capacity to surprise and delight me long after my initial exposure.

Of all the things to come around to!

The first EP was pretty decent. I haven't cared to listen to anything since then more than once (including "Wolf Like Me," which I actively dislike). Based on other artists I enjoy I should like these fellows but just can't find it in myself.

I owe you an email.

Actively dislike?!? You certainly do owe me an email, to explain that one! And actually, Jonathan, I think my listening pattern will be similar to yours. I like it, but I'm not listening to it compulsively or anything.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates