« Home | Fucking Hell » | Prepare to get confused » | Memories from gradeschool kicking in my brain » | Beer for supper » | But what does that prove, it proves nothing » | Eyes like lotus leaves » | I once joined a priest class, plastic, inert » | 29 Forever » | End of the line » | Woodsmoke and peach salsa » 

Thursday, September 27, 2007 

Someone was changing from the inside out

So the Mountain Goats were pretty fucking special, as always... but unlike last time I saw them where they played almost all of Get Lonely and half of The Sunset Tree (which left me longing for more old stuff), this Tuesday they played maybe 4-5 songs that my brother (familiar with all the studio albums) recognized. But they played "Jenny," they played "Nine Black Poppies," they played "Tollund Man," they played a bunch of other old ones I half-recognize but couldn't tell you the title of. They also played two new ones, "In the Craters of the Moon" and "How to Embrace a Swamp Creature" that suggest I'm going to really like the new record when it comes out. And they ended the first encore with the now traditional singalong to "No Children" (the second encore contained "Tulsa Imperative," a song they'd played half of during the main set until John forgot the lyrics... he looked them up on the internet before the first encore, and then a cover of Franklin Bruno's "Houseguest," always a highlight). I'd pay to see these guys do pretty much any show, though.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates