« Home | Eyes like lotus leaves » | I once joined a priest class, plastic, inert » | 29 Forever » | End of the line » | Woodsmoke and peach salsa » | Exciting times » | Fuck you, Pringles » | Sort of classy but also sort of insane » | It's going to be so quiet in here tonight » | Even busier than normal » 

Thursday, September 20, 2007 

But what does that prove, it proves nothing

Like everyone else, I go through bands in fits and starts; this week I'll crave Red House Painters, the next maybe I'll be listening to Isn't Anything every day. You can tell the albums that have really hit you by the way you keep coming back to them even when you haven't heard them in months; you wake up one day feeling a certain way and one of the songs is there in your head. And the next thing you know you're listening to Hefner's We Love the City again, thinking, "I've always loved this, and it's always been a source of comfort, but I don't think I really got it before." One of the joys of getting older, I suppose.

I go through major album phases that I sometimes feel guilty for because it means I'll listen to nothing but that album for days at a time.

Right now it's Josh Ritter's The Animal Years, and it's making me want to go see the Westerns that are in theatres right now. Also it makes me dance a little on the streetcar, which is always a good thing.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates