« Home | Exciting times » | Fuck you, Pringles » | Sort of classy but also sort of insane » | It's going to be so quiet in here tonight » | Even busier than normal » | Meat is murder carbon dioxide » | It's September, isn't it? » | We're afraid of the dark » | Blow your mongrel mind, or, how I stopped worrying... » | The Sand Witch » 

Monday, September 17, 2007 

Woodsmoke and peach salsa

Algonquin Park was mostly good, although the intense cold of the nights (I was told to prepare for 2 degrees or so, and I thought I did - but even when sleeping in three pairs of socks, two pants, three shirts (including a hoodie with the hood up), two sleeping bags and a duvet my feet were still cold) and even some of the days was a bit much, and my arms are pretty tired from paddling across the lake six times (a good canoeist I am not). At least one of those made the whole trip out worthwhile though; returning with firewood, Julia and I paused in the middle of the utterly still, misty, early dusk lake and I heard silence for the first time in years. Mostly, though, I'm just thinking of how much good food I still have left in my freezer (including an entire cheesecake with caramelized pears my dad made that we didn't get around to eating) and how much stuff I have to get done now that I'm back.

A toque (or two) on your head really helps keep the feet warm. The hood on the hoodie probably didn't quite do the job, from that perspective.

I was borrowing a toque during the day, and yeah it made a big difference. Not as nice to sleep in, though.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates