« Home | Everyone here does so just enjoy yourself » | Mind-expanding » | I'm out of my element; I can't breathe » | It started to snow » | Give till it hurts » | Merry friggin' xmas » | Me, me, meeeeeee » | But the prettiest sight to see » | Kind of unrelated » | Oh sh- » 

Thursday, January 03, 2008 

Jigsaw falling into place

While talking to a friend on Gmail chat tonight, I finally articulated one of the things I love about Philip K. Dick's work:

me: [The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch is] maybe the height of his narrative didacticism, but kind of weirdly powerful as a result

i mean, like half of the book is the internal monologues of characters as they realise just how existentially fucked they are now, but it gives the whole thing this kind of weird pulp gravitas

there's showing, but there's also a lot of telling, if you get what i mean

It's weird, because it's a storytelling mode that goes against a lot of common sense and that I should hate, but it's actually one of my favourite things about The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Ubk, VALIS, Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said et al.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates