« Home | Oh sh- » | Muscle Mystery » | Consensus » | I'm not necessarily proud of any of this » | There you stood on the edge of your feather » | Worthy » | I can't take my eyes off you » | Mouth full of pain » | A romantic about music » | I didn't even have to use my A.K. » 

Thursday, December 20, 2007 

Kind of unrelated

1. If you have to go out to get a burger and fries (pretty much the least inspiring meal in Western culture right now) and you're in Southern Ontario, you pretty much have to go to Lick's. At least if you have any self-respect. I mean, among other things, it's the only place I go to where I get the vegetarian burger because it tastes even better than the beef one. I had one last night and it was incredible. I keep going there and expecting to get an average one, but it never happens. Also, any burger joint that lets you get spicy sauce, two kind of onions, two kind of hot peppers and whatever else you want on a burger is worthwhile.

2. While at Lick's, I heard a pretty lovely choral version of a religious Christmas song - not sure which one. "Angels We Have Heard on High," maybe? It's one of those versions that sounds like it's being recorded in a cathedral in England or something. And for just a moment, I think about how nightmarish this would be to someone from the medieval period, that this sacred music meant to be performed by humans is being played in the bathroom of a fast food establishment without even any visible speakers.

3. Which made me think, because I'm standing there contemplating the music, and I realise I want to say something about how the idea briefly offends even me, and I was raised secular. And then I start thinking about things I've read where people in Israel, for example, are described as "ethnically Jewish" or how plenty of people I know are or could be described as "culturally Catholic" - that is, in each case, they may or may not respect the religion, but they don't practice it. And yet, in at least some way, those sorts of groups are still bound by a common background, a set of shared values etc etc etc. And I start to wonder if the proper way to describe myself isn't "ethnically secular" or "culturally humanist" or something like that. And I wonder how many people these days that could apply to.

I describe myself as an ‘Avant Garde Satanic Atheist’. Apparently ‘Christian Atheist’ is a recognised religion. Bring on the Jedi.

I tried describing myself as a Breathetarian once, but apparently there's still a few of them left, and they didn't like that.

My mother's father was a staunch atheist, and his children grew up as secularly as they could get away with in rural Ontario in the 1950s. And my father basically gave up on his Catholicism long before I was born.

But despite all that, I feel like I have a strong cultural tie to Christianity. I celebrate Christmas, rather than Hanukkah or Eid ul-Adha, even though I do it in a secular way. And when I hit my thumb with a hammer, I have been known to exclaim "Jesus Christ!".

So, I generally think of myself as ethnically and culturally Christian, even though I have no religious beliefs. I don't think there's a large enough or old enough base of secularists and/or humanists to constitute a real ethnic or cultural group by that name. Give it a few generations, perhaps.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates