« Home | Time can be overcome » | Hairless » | Let's get this paper » | Oh you had to ask, didn't you? » | Guelph is not Staten Island » | Highly illegal » | I can stop any time I want » | BULLSHIT » | Don't worry about the government » | In this hemisphere » 

Friday, April 18, 2008 

No turntables and two microphones

The opening act for Hot Chip were Free Blood, who were pretty goddamn fantastic; not only did some of their songs sound kind of like live attempts to make songs that already sound like 12" remixes from the heyday of the form (which is impressive and fun in the way a live dub band is, i.e. hugely), and not only does John do a killer falsetto, but I was one of the few around me who kind of dug the screaming/atonality when they went there; it's nice to see a band who's comfortable playing around with the thin line between ecstasy and frenzy. All they've got out right now is some vinyl, but I'm eagerly awaiting a full-length.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates