« Home | "Jimmy... Jimmy... shit is fucked" » | Just.... stuff » | Thank your parents » | Moth wings » | A song about flowers of the valley » | Why don't you ring? » | “First of all, hello.” » | Tell me why » | Water rising over my head » | There when we arrived » 

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 

Pulling the plug on the party

Listening to Switzerland again this morning, I'm reminded of how much I still stand by this, and how I also don't think I was explicit enough about my point: Electric Six are the kind of band you wish there were more of. I haven't actually gotten a copy of I Shall Exterminate Everything Around Me That Restricts Me From Being the Master, but the tracks I've heard suggest I should remedy that, and their new record is a fantastically exciting prospect. (Anthony is one of the few critics who Gets It, although I'd add Alfred in there too) They are the Blue Öyster Cult our times demand, deserve and need.

A sad day: the Stylus archives now require a password to access.

Regardless, I'll say that being from Detroit has given me a good appreciation of the Electric 6. I don't know what it is. It does seem like people from elsewhere fail to Get It (Except for in the UK and Ireland...I was these last summer and they're fucking huge...which makes little sense to me...). Anyway, I'm glad to see that there are legitimate music critics who can unironically say that they like them in the same way I do.

Actually, the site's just messed up. Should be back to normal soon.

And damn, critic or no, it's always good to run into people who get what those guys are doing, and like it.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates