« Home | Music Diary #4 (last Thursday) » | Music Diary #3 (last Wednesday) » | Music Diary #2 (last Tuesday) » | Music Diary #1 (last Monday) » | I am a city of habits » | Recent work » | How could they leave us so soon? » | I don't like booking time off for St. Patrick's Da... » | And I closed my eyes like Marvin Gaye » | Conference (and other) notes » 

Friday, April 15, 2011 

Two interviews

Both worth your time.

Norm MacDonald: I’m not original, but I strive toward it as much as possible. I tried really hard on Weekend Update to do something that I considered original, which was, I tried to cut all cleverness out of the joke. I’ve always been very averse to innuendo, especially sexual. I find it cowardly or something. Like on Will & Grace, my mother will laugh at it, then I’m like, "You know what that joke’s about, right? Like, that one guy fucked that guy in the ass." And then she’s aghast, and I’m like, "That’s what he just said when he talked about the tunnel! So why didn’t he just say it?" It always maddens me that people can laugh at sexual innuendo, then you say what it really means, and they’re like "Ah! I can’t hear that!" So on Update, the only real original thing was trying to take away the cleverness of the punchline and make it as blunt as possible. And then I tried to make the punchline as close to the setup as I could. And I thought that was the perfect thing. If I could make the setup and the punchline identical to each other, I would create a different kind of joke.

David Simon: You start talking about a social compact between the people at the bottom of the pyramid and the people at the top, and people look at you and say, "Are you talking about sharing wealth?" Listen, capitalism is the only engine credible enough to generate mass wealth. I think it’s imperfect, but we’re stuck with it. And thank God we have that in the toolbox. But if you don’t manage it in some way that incorporates all of society, if everybody’s not benefiting on some level and you don’t have a sense of shared purpose, national purpose, then it’s just a pyramid scheme. Who’s standing on top of whose throat?



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates