« Home | The transporter » | Boom bap » | Fuck Bon Jovi » | Bad choices » | Redeeming qualities » | The middle ground » | Wave of the future » | Detergent » | Go outside, you damn kids » | Very simple » 

Saturday, October 08, 2005 

The ever passing moment

So I'm home for Thanksgiving, going through the stuff from my old room and throwing much of it out and trying to figure out what to do with everything else. I've been listening to Tallahassee (which I'm pretty sure I will now always associate with tonight, perversely enough) and getting a little choked up. I just spent twenty minutes leafing through grade school art projects and stories. And I think I can finally articulate something that's been lurking in my consciousness for a while, at least since I started on that nostalgia article. It's time that gives our lives texture. John Gardner is right when he says that the two great evils are "time passes and alternatives exclude", but there's something wonderful about that two. Looking through all this stuff, I can almost see my life - not me, I'm right here, but the whole weird, inevitable sprawl.

Last night I finally saw You Can Count On Me on CBC (thank God the internet stopped working, or I might not have). And that has something to do with this too, although I'm not sure what. And so does Natalie Imbruglia's "That Day", which just came on.

Hmm. I'd better go back to sorting through boxes before I get really maudlin.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates