« Home | Palm meet forehead » | Oh, those crazy Russians » | Sometimes I forget I'm still awake » | "mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they... » | Dark sided » | One for the quote file » | Lions and witches and wardrobes, oh my » | Small mercies » | Phantasmagoria » | That time again » 

Monday, December 12, 2005 

Mail call

So today my package from Forced Exposure finally slipped through Customs and came to rest at my door; nestled inside, under several kilometers of packing tape, were my long-awaited copy of Paavoharju's Yhä Hämärää ("Continually Dark", it's in my top ten for the year), which is great to get in a "hey, I can finally delete it off of my hard drive" kind of way (music sharing = me spending more money on Finnish music I will never find in Guelph), and even more excitingly my Buddha Machine (I got a red one), which I'm listening to right now.

It was listed as a "music box" on the customs form, and I guess that works - I've been listening to it for about 70 minutes now, and I think I've gone through all nine loops. It's kind of neat - instead of selecting which one you want, you just flick and switch and it goes to the next one; flick the switch back and you get the one after that, and so on. The sound quality isn't great, so a couple of the loops have fairly intense static as the loop brushes agains the upper limit of the fidelty on the chip/speaker, which I love. It's a pretty trippy experience, and the idea of leaving it on for a day at a time is a strangely tempting one.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates