« Home | Rail God » | Fantastically exciting » | The name not of the solution but of the challenge » | Realisation » | I'd like to see that » | Counterintuitive? » | Incredibly exciting » | Garnished with tasty files » | Torture and 24 » | Science is a process, not a bunch of facts » 

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 

Errors and distortions

My friend Gord must have gotten the same Conservative spam that I did; unlike me, he responds, and I hope anyone else who got that email from "Alan Robberstad" trying to convince us to vote for Harper via a mixture of prejudices and bad logic gets a chance to read it. Worth it for this site if nothing else (note that under each scare quote you have the option to read it in context - both valuable and a sign that the Liberals don't think the context improves them much).

(I'm still voting Green, or maybe NDP, mind you)

I remember the "Stephen Harper Said" site (or a similar site) from the previous election. Sites like this are really interesting, because they work both for and against the parties that create them.

For example, with this particular site, I'm sure there are many voters who would read these quotations from Stephen Harper and thereby decide (or re-affirm their decision) to vote Conservative, in addition to those who would thereby vote otherwise.

In the end, I suspect that sites like this are primarily preaching to the converted, and perhaps to the confused. Stephen Harper is the leader of the self-styled "Conservative" party, so stereotypical right-wing ideas should be not at all unexpected.

On the one hand, yes; on the other, I think the intended effect is not to sway Conservative voters so much as to remind Canadians who don't support "stereotypical right-wing ideas" (i.e. most of them) that voting for Harper isn't just a vote for anything but the Liberals, it's a vote for a party and a leader with actual goals and platforms and the like, ones that you might not want to embrace just because with the other party.

In an ideal world, that means those voters would go NDP instead, but until we get proportional representation I'm not sure it matters.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates