« Home | Hmmm » | New crush » | Weaksauce! » | Tonight's results » | It's official » | Best possible result » | Pull yourself together » | The hills have eyes » | Blurry » | Why should we look back? » 

Saturday, March 18, 2006 

Happy St Patrick's Day!

(Yes, I know the Irish don't care. I am also aware I am not Irish myself. Your point?)

Drinking from 4 pm to just after midnight. Eight people in the apartment. Throwing tiny jam jars out of the side window. Irish Carbombs. Yelling (oh god, the yelling). Going downtown to a bar to see Mom and Wayne. A punk concert. A sink full of pint glasses. The Batwing. A grocery bag full of tiny liquor bottles.

When I walked back into the apartment just now, alone, all I could smell was booze. I'm pretty sure I'm going to die from that tomorrow.

Man, your evening sounds a lot more fun than mine was. (Yesterday was not only St. Patrick's Day, it was the last day of classes before spring break. A million bucks wouldn't have got me out to the bars around here last night.)

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.

I had a glass of Jameson (irish whiskey) for good measure and passed out watching a documentary on gay people running from the nazis. Er, I think that's what it was about. I was asleep for most of it.

The Batwing?

In order:

Yeah, I wouldn't have hit those bars either. The Shadow was pretty packed (live show), and so was Frugal's, but we spent most of the night at the apartment. I got away with spending surprisingly little money (after my trip to Encore on Thursday, this is a Good Thing).

...

The only whiskey I had (Irish, yes - Jameson as well actually, I just checked) was in the Carbomb. This is the first year I went drinking for St. Patrick's Day - normally I'm more likely to be sleeping in front of the TV (in fact, as Kiernan can tell you, last year we stayed in and looked after a very, very drunk friend).

...

You don't want to know. Trust me.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates