« Home | The mind boggles » | Adjustments » | Tummy therapy » | I'm not emo or anything, but... » | Why not smile » | Raspberries » | Progress » | For He loves me so » | "Your PM is a sissy" » | Release the hounds » 

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 

I drink it like coffee

I'm not really sure why Mom gave Ben and I a case of bottled water, apropos of nothing as far as I can tell. I mean, it's here so I'll drink it, and I appreciate the thought, but I don't buy that stuff on principle. It's paying money for something I get from my tap for free, and it wastes a lot of packaging.

Still, stick a couple of bottles in the fridge, that stuff is delicious. And good for you.

I think they're starting to prove that bottled water may not be as good for you as tap. Something about it lacking fluoride. Then again, tap water tastes kind of bad. Or rather, Houston tap water tastes bad. So. It's a toss up.

In Ontario a few years ago I went to a seminar given by a provincial government environment guy (no, I don't remember a more appropriate title) and he pointed out that water bottling companies aren't (at the time, probably still aren't) required to do the same kind of filtration and testing on their water that has to be done to water that comes out of a tap in any municipality. They can pretty much buy a plot of land in the country, sink a well, bottle what bubbles up and sell it.

I don't buy bottled water.

I've never lived somewhere where the tap water tasted bad. But I also seem to be less sensitive to it than some, based on conversations at work.

And I think I'd heard something similar to that seminar Aaron went to a while back. The bottled water I have right now tastes fine and hasn't made either of us sick, but it's a though.

My dad mentioned the other day that the Municipality of Kincardine was giving out free cases of bottled water a few weeks ago, to going along with a boil-water order that had been issued; apparently they were worried that people might not bother to boil their water. (Yes, I know how stupid that sounds.)

Maybe that's where your mom got the water from, and didn't know what else to do with it.

Ooh, could be. She has a water cooler at home, so she wouldn't need it. I hadn't heard about the boil order.

boil order? do they have radioactive material in their water too? Actually I guess boiling it wouldn't help if that were the case.

Not sure if the news ever made it allllll the way down there, lechach, but a small town near my hometown by the name of Walkerton had some contamination issues a while back that resulted in widespread boil orders; before that some people got e. coli and a couple even died. So not radiation, no, but something nasty nonetheless.

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeesh. And nah, we don't get news like that in Texas. Texas doesn't care about Canada.

When we had the radioactive scare, my mom claims her coworkers came by one day and turned the lights off in her office to see if she would glow in the dark. But she didn't get any e. coli or die or anything.

My brother did get e. coli, although not from the water. It's not fun.

And, well... Canada doesn't care about Texas!

(actually, we do - it's just that Texas can be such a jerk sometimes)

eeeeek e.coli.

And I agree. Texas is a jerk. And it's hot. It's 82 degrees out at the moment. IN MARCH.

(does quick conversion to proper Celsius temperature)

...

That's an unusually hot summer's day up here. How do you live through all that?

sheer perseverance.

our summers get up into the 100's (37+ C?) And it's humid and gross on top of it. And hurricanes!!

I hate humidity more than just about any other thing, concept, person or political party out there. You have my sympathies.

On the other hand, a couple of summers ago it was hitting about 104 Fahrenheit outside and I was working in a steel factory - with the furnace and everything, it was around 122. I don't know how anyone endures that, including me.

sheeeeesh that's hot. and in a steel factory of all places. ouch.

We got as many freezies as we could eat, though. We were making forklift forks, and that's tough work.

Bottled water costs more than petrol. Even with oil prices being as high as they are. Strange. But I drink it all the time.

I just can't stand to pay for something I can get for free. I think it may be because I'm of Scottish descent.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates