« Home | It's Tuesdays now » | Trying to forget » | It begins » | Seed » | Four and a half hours of sleep » | The politics of film » | Dirty hands shape the keenest minds » | Dirda! » | Indie fuxxor » | Hard at work » 

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 

The Taquito Moment

Excellent article on dating, or more accurately the human tendancy to rationalize, over at The Washington Post. Key moment:

The Taquito Moment comes to represent a moment of clarity, the thing you fasten onto later when explaining why you could never go out with that person again. So you broke up with a girl because of her arm hair? Fine. Love, like mayonnaise, is a texture thing. But maybe, on some essential level, the girl just didn't do it for you, because if she had, those would have been the arms of the girl you loved.

Deciding not to go out with someone because they like a certain kind of food is kind of like deciding not to like an album because of some seemingly insignificant bit of context. It's not that the minor issues aren't true and valid, it's that they're an intellectual explanation (and exploration) of a visceral reaction. That doesn't mean I want people to stop writing about the reasons we construct for liking/disliking music, of course (the process and the results can still be very interesting and make for good writing), but I think we should keep this in mind more often.

I hate dating. I'm too picky.

Ditto, but what exactly are the alternatives?

(also, see the next post up, wherein T-Rex orders us to try anyways!)

yeah I saw that. Damn you trex. I'm kind of at the point now where I've apparently got a few options of people I don't really think will work out, and then one or 2 that I think would totally work out but aren't exactly... "options"... so should i settle? or hold out? I want to settle because i'm just tired, but at the same time....

I totally asked the bartender to come make out with me in the parking lot last night. luckly he was making my drinks, and knew he was making them extra strong, and assumed that those were just drunk words. despite how much i meant them. ::sigh:: he's apparently been dating "crazy girl" too which is kind of freaking me out. Too many characters in my life, i swear. ANYWAYS.

Cute bartender is dating crazy girl?

Wow, that's actually really surprising.

Parking lot makeouts... there should be more of those.

As for settling: I say no. I'm with Utahraptor on this, partially - I'd rather be happy and single than settling and miserable. Your mileage may vary?

well they're not really dating. she has a boyfriend in dallas, but claims it's an "open" relationship, but apparently feels really guilty about cheating on him, so it's messed up. well... yeah, i mean. she's crazy.

Wow. Even for her, that's pretty nuts. And bartender dude doesn't think this is weird?

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates