« Home | He's good, but a bit overrated » | Watchmaker » | "...oh." » | Work radio dept. » | Meat » | For the hills » | Criticism is not a buyer's guide » | I'm sorry that the kitchen is on fire » | How the hell did Snook get so high? » | That's a physical impossibility » 

Thursday, April 13, 2006 

We was robbed

Despite a fine performance, we came in fourth at this night's music trivia - I guess those massive tables of 12 people apiece managed to draw on more knowledge than the 6 of us.

Before hitting the bar, however, I dropped by the new record store in Guelph and managed to buy Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (overdue, I know), and most importantly the brilliant 2-disc reissue of Slowdive's epochal Souvlaki (the best shoegaze album of all time, if you don't count My Bloody Valentine, which you shouldn't, and with Ride's Going Blank Again a close second). The remastering is accomplished (the job done on "Sing" is worth the price alone), the bonus tracks are given their own disc (a practice I'm a big fan of), and there are more of them (finally, I have no need to track down the In Mind or Outside Your Room EPs). The owner of the store is ordering the remaster of Pygmalion (best post-shoegaze ambient album ever?) for me too.

funny, I just bought a book about that NMH record today before I read your post.

I am hoping you would do that because it's a fantastic record. I know the Slowdive one is (did you want my old copy?).

yes, I'd love it.

and yes, it's because I love the record. I'll lend you the book sometime.

I, too, recently discovered that my local library had a copy of the NMH album and checked out a copy on Monday night. Only listened to a little bit so far. What is with that I LUUUUVVVVV JEEEEEESUS CHRIIIIIIIIST song?

Anyway, I'm enjoying my happening upon Ian's criticism, which started with the John Foxx podcast last fall and ramped up once I heard his assessment of Scott Walker's Tilt (one of my all-time faves) and especially his skeptical thoughts on the first Gang Of Four album. BTW, I always felt Go4 was a better singles band than anything else, at least until they jumped the shark in 1983 in Miami (90 miles from Cuba) with that "Soft" album.

33 1/3, I assume, Jack? That'd be awesome.

Mark, a pleasure to have you here; glad you like the podcast, it's probably the most pure fun thing I do every week. I actually haven't heard the song you mentioned yet, it's not one of the ones I had on my computer (check out "Holland, 1945" if you haven't yet, though - crunchy!).

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates