« Home | It makes me feel just rotten » | Good weekend » | I love living in the future dept. » | Might as well get started early » | Natural's not in it » | We was robbed » | He's good, but a bit overrated » | Watchmaker » | "...oh." » | Work radio dept. » 

Monday, April 17, 2006 

I've been crowned the king of it

Listening to Slanted & Enchanted today, a record I for too long have passed over in favour of Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (not a bad album by any means, but as much as I originally lionized it as a teeanger I now find myself gravitating more to the shards of songs S&E is dotted with), it strikes me that its age means it came out when I was 10. And I think if I'd gotten my hands on Pavement at that age I would have really loved it; the sense of humour would have appealed to me (my parents probably would have asked me to stop singing "Conduit For Sale!" or "Fame Throwa" at the top of my lungs very quickly), as would have the short attention span displayed by the band. And as I wasn't exactly constantly hyper, the quiter interludes like "Zurich Is Stained" and the effortlessly sublime "Here" would have sustained my interest through the years.

Which is kind of a weird sensation, as this is basically the first time I've wished I'd gotten into a particular band earlier than I did. But to have been into Pavement when Brighten The Corners (my favourite album of theirs, I think) came out would have been a fine thing indeed.

katie never really *got* pavement.

It took me a long time. If I'd had access to more music when I was trying (living in a town with no music store, pre-Napster), I don't know if I would have.

"Transport Is Arranged", though. Genius.

hmmm... maybe I'll dive into it some day. I kind of missed out on the whole gbv/bts/pavement masturbatory period when it was happening and afterwards, never heard anything worth going back for.

I got into Guided By Voices via the ridiculously great, shinily produced Isolation Drills, which is Pollard actually trying to make conventional rock music and kind of succeeding. Aside from that, though, all I own and all most people need is the fantastic Human Amusements At Hourly Rates comp; 70+ minutes of their finest stuff, and while you could probably construct an alternate lineup just as strong, most of us can't be arsed.

Pavement are genius. But their most well-regarded discs, the first two, aren't actually their best. I think you'd probably get a kick out of Terror Twilight.

Assuming the other acronym is Built To Spill, I've never heard them and nothing I've read has convinced me to rectify that.

hmmmmmmmmmmm looks like katie may be bittorrenting some "classics" later tonight... heh.

yeah, built to spill is doing a few shows here in houston soon, and everyone I know is creaming themselves over it. I don't get it. But I'm way too excited about the Spank Rock show, so.

Brighten the Corners came out at right about the height of my Pavement fixation, actually! Good times.

So which one is your favourite, John, assuming your fixation is still active?

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates