« Home | Small world » | Grow any further » | Man with hammer » | Argument rules » | Scones are delicious » | Monomania » | Arendt in New York » | A better box of burgers » | Armour » | "Unique in his recollection" » 

Monday, April 10, 2006 

That's a physical impossibility

I pulled a muscle in my thumb, or sprained it or something, bowling this weekend. I knew I was using too heavy of a ball, but by the time I realised it I was too stubborn to stop. Damn. Even squeezing out the scrubbing sponge I use for dishes hurt a little.

Also, I am apparently a person who prefers Phantom Power by the Tragically Hip to Phantom Power by the Super Furry Animals. I am okay with whatever this says about me.

I prefer SFA over the Tragically Hip any day, but I really really really did not like that album by them. At all. I'm a big fan of Mwng though? I don't know what that says about me, but you, YOU may have some complex issues to sort out there. :o)

And *ouch* on the thumb. Damn, kid.

I know, I'm injury prone these days. I sold Mwng a while back - I loved a couple of songs, but couldn't get into most of it. It's all about Guerrilla, though, and to a lesser extent the albums that came before it. I haven't even heard Love Kraft.

And I know you're not Canadian, but the Hip have seriously made at least two albums that deserve serious attention and a hell of a lot of good songs scattered throughout their other stuff. Ever heard "Nautical Disaster"?

nope, I sure haven't.

Don't bother with Love Kraft. Crrrrrrrrrrap. Rings Around the World was the last album put out that's worth listening to. Mwng has some of the greatest pop hooks ever on it.

We are in agreement about (the sadly underrated) Rings Around The World - how anyone can hate on an album with both "(A) Touch Sensitive" and "Shoot Doris Day" on it, I have no idea.

I liked "Drygioni", "Nythod Cacwn", "Ysbeidiau Heulog" and "Y Teimlad", plus a couple of the bonus tracks, but the rest of Mwng kind of blended together. "Ysbeidiau Heulog", though, is just pure sunny day.

And I am absolutely YSIing "Nautical Disaster" tonight. Give them a chance, that's all I ask!

Most of RATW was absolutely fantastic.... "No Sympathy" being a personal favorite of mine. But it was pretty much all downhill after that. I saw them perform just last November- actually a pretty alright show, but they could've made it a lot better by not playing stuff off the more recent albums...

Mwng does blend together some, probably because I (and I assume you also) don't speak Welsh. But yes, radiator, outspaced, etc-- all exxxcellent.

And I'll give it a shot. YSI it on up later on.

The end of "No Sympathy" makes my head spin around. The last time I saw SFA live was on the tour for Phantom Power, but they played plenty of old stuff and mostly the highlights of the new record ("Venus And Serena" is admittedly a bit of a burner).

I don't speak Welsh, worse luck. Although I did look up the translated lyrics.

My favourite after Guerrilla is probably Fuzzy Logic, although I've only had Radiator for a little while in comparison. And I have yet to buy Outspaced, that hefty price tag makes me wary.

eh. They reissued outspaced with the rest of em. Shouldn't be that expensive. "Guacamole" used to be my theme song.

I've looked up the translated lyrics too, but it's just not the same.

And yeah, they played plenty of old stuff (they alluded to Guacalmole and didn't play it though, damn them). But because they had both Phantom Power AND Love Kraft to highlight from... it was a bit more than half of that stuff, and the rest of the show was older. They played a whacked out techno-laced version of "The Man Don't Give a Fuck" that made the thing totally worth it though.

I love/own (on vinyl!) that version. Did they do it in the Yeti costumes? They had those the second time I saw them.

noooooo I was actually very disappointed in the costumes for the evening. they were in like.. green jumpsuits with lights on them. So boring.

I'm awfully sorry about your thumb, but not sorry that you admitted to going bowling. Geeky fun! (I wish I could bowl!)

Currently my head is frozen to the right, so I look quizzical all the time, due to waking up Monday morning unable to move the muscles in that side of my neck. I empathize with your pain.

Gah, that's awful. I've awoken with a sore neck, but never a frozen one.

I used to bowl as a kid, and I kind of miss it. I clearly need practice, though!

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates