« Home | Guilt is a useless emotion » | I didn't think this was what they meant by "heat d... » | Not exactly Mechwarrior » | Timing » | We're in Canada, for pete's sake » | The great indoors » | Unit bias » | If you don't take my hand, I lose my mind » | I've got a million things to say » | Bad day » 

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 

Isolating yet relaxing

An extremely interesting article from the CBC on internet use; a couple of points occur to me, though.

Given the wide variety of what you can do online, should "heavy use" really start at an hour a day?

As the article sort acknowledges, these heavy users both have the same number of close friendships and relationships as non users, and although they may spend more time "alone," it's often while interacting with other people.

Basically, if you're going to be some sort of loner, it's probably healthier to be spending time online (within reason, of course) than it is to be watching TV and rocking back and forth. I like the article and its reasonable tone, I'm just a little worried somebody is going to run with a couple parts of it in an irresponsible direction.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates