« Home | Don't be a fool, Billy » | I try not to link every post there, really » | "And yet … and yet despite it all …" » | Odile » | Go die now » | Behind his eyes he says, I still exist » | "I get it. Very dry, Dad. That's good stuff." » | Chagrin » | Process, not conclusion » | Coquelicot » 

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 

Terrifying?

So, uh, dark matter? Is real.

Okay, I'll bite.

Why would this be terrifying?

Well, sheer ignorance, for one. The vague idea of billions of gibbering Cthulhuoid beasties slavering in the gaps between "real" matter for another.

It didn't sound that scary til you raised that.

Thanks, I'm here all week.

Tip your server.

Dude. This is what my friend Duncan studies. You should hear him go on about it when he gets drunk - talk about scary!

I would more likely characterize this is "exciting" than "terrifying." People have been postulating theories about dark matter for years, but now there is some hard evidence that it does in fact exist. We live in interesting times.

On a related note, is anyone taking bets on how many official planets there will be 24 hours from now? Like I said, interesting times.

Can't it be both?

Especially considering I think it's exciting on a practical, real-world level and kind of terrifying on a more.... imaginative one.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates