« Home | (R)evolution » | Warm and fuzzy » | And I'm all hooked up » | Slapper » | In the morning » | Busy day » | Yes, even the Fray » | Motion picture soundtrack » | Lucky pot » | Unsurprisingly, I am the only one who likes that D... » 

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 

And it hurts with every heartbeat

It's not often I stumble on new blogs - and far rare that I stumble on blogs I instantly love, but Voyou Desœvré (via Mark) is one of the best things I've read all year. The fact that they have extremely cogent and entertaining things to say about House and sad songs only sweetens the pot; the latter in particular is germane enough to my taste in music (and possible upcoming posts on my year-end list) that I feel the need to post the good bit here:

Talking to a friend a while ago, he expressed surprise when I said that I found, in sad music, not tears and catharsis, but an odd sort of strength, or even cheer. “But listen to Miles Davis playing Concierto de Aranjuez,” he said; “how can you not feel the bleakness, the absolute despair in that record?” But what stops it short of being absolute despair is precisely the fact that it is a record. It’s not simply the bleak fact of despair, but a representation of despair; hence proof that something can be done with sadness. This kind of sublimation is not a theodicy, at least not in the traditional sense. The brute fact of suffering is not justified by the brute fact of redemption, rather, redemption, or the closest we can get to it, comes through the fact that suffering can be interpreted, that the fact that we suffer never determines what we then do with that suffering.

Yes. Just Yes.

yes!

you know how much i love sad music ...

just found yr blog - i like it!

I had no idea you had one! I'll have to bookmark it when I get back home. So, back in Guelph for the new year?

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates