« Home | Yes, even the Fray » | Motion picture soundtrack » | Lucky pot » | Unsurprisingly, I am the only one who likes that D... » | 6th level Spinozan » | It's like an echo in my head » | I'm not dead yet » | They got it for cheap(?) » | My night is coloured headache grey » | Until the end of the world » 

Monday, December 11, 2006 

Busy day

All of my academic obligations for the semester are discharged, except for marking 73 final exams (that's for tonight, and then I'm free!). I've been so busy that I've been neglecting the internet, but there's a couple of things I've been meaning to mention...

- Just picked up my physical copy of Jason Molina's Let Me Go Let Me Go Let Me Go today, and it's gorgeously packaged for the most part. The strength of the music itself isn't in question; Molina's chronicle of "depression without a fight and depression with a fight" is easily one of the records of the year for me, one that I am livid I forgot to vote for over at Stylus. But the actual record is interesting: it "only" comes on vinyl, and tucked inside that is the CD copy. While I'm more than happy to buy the vinyl version, I would have loved it if the stuff to make a proper CD album was in there - not a jewel case, just art to put in a jewel case. With a thin paper sleeve, how the hell is this supposed to go on my shelf? I'm probably going to be listening often enough that it'd be nice to have some ease of access.

- I meant to mention this a week ago when I found it out, but Out Hud's S.T.R.E.E.T.D.A.D. is by some significant margin the best cooking album I have ever heard. Maybe I just got lucky - the peaks tended to hit just as the interesting/demanding parts of the process did - but I tend to think the way it made lengthy interludes of stirring and waiting fly by is both repeatedable and one of the more purely enjoyable experiences I've had with music in a while.

- Pole's 2 is either really awful or really great party music. I'm glad I brought it, in either case.

- Joy and Brynna dragged me out to see The Holiday last Friday, and lo and behold the damn thing was actually pretty good; but, as realistic as it may or may not be, could they have skipped Kate Winslet's character rocking out to "Jet"? I really liked her otherwise.

- I'm heading down to scenic Ithaca this Friday, to rest and relax. Be back Wednesday. Won't necessarily blog while I'm gone. I'm sure my legions of fans will miss me.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates