« Home | 6th level Spinozan » | It's like an echo in my head » | I'm not dead yet » | They got it for cheap(?) » | My night is coloured headache grey » | Until the end of the world » | Bwa ha ha » | Smooth move, Ex-lax » | Mixed blessings » | Plug me in » 

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 

Unsurprisingly, I am the only one who likes that Damien Rice song

A very satisfying Jukebox this week - my blurb for it didn't make it in, but Nelly Furtado justly wins on the back of two superb singles in a row. This a not a sentence I thought I'd be typing, even after "Promiscuous," but now that I've heard 6 tracks from Loose and loved them all, I might need to search out a used copy.

Ok that Lil Chris guy is from that awful show Rock School with Gene Simmons. There is no way it should be as catchy as it is. Strangely compelling I must say.

Plus I really believe that everyone just wants their background to change every time they change which way they are facing.

I'm pissed that this is the second week in a row I couldn't contribute. That Nelly Furtado song is good, but the album... I'm thinking of pitching a Top Ten '06 Albums That Are 50% Good, and "Loose" would be right up there round the top of it. A few too many dull ballads, not enough Timbo-craziness/Timbo-balladic goodness. I see it as Mosley's warm-up run for FutureSex/LoveSounds.

But the point with the Jukebox I need to make is that, despite my firm belief that all musical opinions are subjective and there is no right or wrong opinions: y'all are wrong on the Hold Steady. "Chips Ahoy!" has been scientifically determined to be, at minimum, a [10]. I think they worked it out at NASA or something.

The Hold Steady just aren't that good, I'm afraid (with the same caveat as you). And I know I like at least two of the dull ballads ("All Good Things (Come To An End)" made my year end ballot, fer chrissakes!), so my inclination to go buy Loose is only growing...



And yeah, I thought I was going to hate Lil Chris, since I hate the very idea of the show. But he channels Ric Ocasek and a wounded otter! What's not to love?

I'm also a bit annoyed at having to miss last two weeks (damn exams) and now looking for Loose.

And "9 Crimes" is excellent, but (even without the mess of the rest of 9!) just strengthens the case that we have no more need for Damien Rice but do need a Lisa Hannigan solo career.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates