« Home | Oddly terrifying » | Maybe I should say hi » | Re-performance » | "I'm fired. I'm getting fired." » | Ludicrously sober » | "If we don't debate this, we are not worthy of our... » | The prophet of our desert » | I feel safe all the time » | A high note » | Counter productive » 

Friday, March 16, 2007 

Poor Tom's a-cold

I've been reading the online version of Pepys' Diary since it started; yesterday his brother Thomas died and although Samuel is neither flowery nor particularly emotional about it (he was writing in a diary, not a euology), it's still pretty heartbreaking:

I left my wife to see him laid out, and I by coach home carrying my brother’s papers, all I could find, with me, and having wrote a letter to, my father telling him what hath been said I returned by coach, it being very late, and dark, to my brother’s, but all being gone, the corpse laid out, and my wife at Mrs. Turner’s, I thither, and there after an hour’s talk, we up to bed, my wife and I in the little blue chamber, and I lay close to my wife, being full of disorder and grief for my brother that I could not sleep nor wake with satisfaction, at last I slept till 5 or 6 o’clock.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates