« Home | "Good music gives you a lot of own pictures in you... » | Cultural prisms » | I hope you die; I hope we both die » | I have tried, in my way, to be free » | The three Rs » | Getting back into gear (slightly) » | And he puts on his dark glasses and he shows you w... » | Time spirals around the "Originator." » | There's a right way to be stupid » | You really cannot make this shit up » 

Thursday, May 10, 2007 

How to love yourself

I've known for years I would probably love the Red House Painters, but their intimidatingly long song/album times and inaccessibility here in Guelph meant I never investigated. Then one day Songs For a Blue Guitar popped up in my local used record shop, and now I'm rapidly speeding towards needing everything Mark Kozelek has ever done.

A big part of the process, and one of the most personally important songs I've heard since starting grad school, is "Have You Forgotten," the first track from that album. Today my Seconds on it goes up at Stylus, and it is probably one of the better things I've ever written for the site. I am exceptionally pleased that I could go some way towards doing the song justice, in a minor attempt to pay back all the good things that the song does to me, to paraphrase it.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates