« Home | New lows » | She couldn't take on any more late fees » | Timesuck » | Always Low Prices. Always. » | The ginge » | Every old sock needs an old shoe » | In reverse » | Oh shit » | The phatic function » | Every k over is a killer » 

Sunday, June 03, 2007 

Why I'll never be a food critic

So last night I finally tried downtown's newest addition to the bar food scene, Gringo's Burritos. It was pretty awesome - not the cheapest thing I've ever gotten and far too complex in terms of taste and texture to be a good idea when wasted (not to mention fairly sloppy), but for that very reason a great buy if you've only had a couple or are (horror of horrors) sober. The burritos really are massive, and you get a good amount of stuff in them; I may have ordered a steak burrito (the steak was delicious), but I got a rich mix of beans, rice, various kinds of salsas, cheese, and a shitload of green onions (my request) to go with it. And $7 for a full meal isn't exactly a bad deal.

I would, however, maybe avoid getting one just before bed - I had more than one fairly fucked up dream, one about some sort of aliens again (this one ended happily though, even if the aliens were more grotesque), and one about my dead paternal grandfather, home invasions, shotguns, and the true meaning of Christmas. That second one is one I've had before, weirdly enough.

Yes! I used to be a huge Gringo's after bar fan - but then it just got to be far too much. I would wake up the next morning finding a weird package on my desk with a half eaten burrito filled with beans and veggies - and after 8 hours of sitting out, it is definitely not a pretty sight.
Perhaps it will be one of my first stops after I go down the horrid road of eating meat again...
- beth

You're going to start eating meat again?

Honestly, I'd much rather go there than the Pita Pit, and unlike much bar food I could also see eating there during the day. It was pretty awesome.

Yeah, for health reasons. I'm going to my doctor and a nutritionist next week to find out if I should. I'm just not feeling up to par and everyone I know thinks it's a good idea. It's not like I'm going to be hardcore meat eater like 'spite meat' Ben though. I am still not 100% sure though.
I had Gringo's once during the day - and it was pretty good. Far better then when intoxicated actually. When I come back to Guelph in the near future we should go.

Two things - first it's not my spite meat, it's Beth's, she just doesn't happen to pull her weight when it comes to eating dead things and thus I am required to pick up the slack. Tasty, tasty slack. And second he was French - I had to shotgun him. Plus he was home invading. While French.

The new, slightly less offensive version of "Driving While Black."

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates