« Home | Doctor Hilarius would be proud » | Ups and downs » | "The Martians are always coming." » | Oh, shit! » | Heirlooms » | "I want people to be afraid of how much they love ... » | Eat the music » | Don't act so innocent » | Space dust » | I wanna bring you too » 

Monday, August 20, 2007 

Halfway there

I've got an article in the 29th edition of Perforations, an online academic journal. The issue is here, and my contribution "I Exist on the Best Terms I Can: Joy Division's Closer and Hauntology" is part way down the page. I'm in some pretty august company. Not all of the links are working yet, but I'm getting on that.

Hi Ian; i really enjoyed this article. An essay of mine is also included in Perforations 29 (which is how i found your article, which is how i found yr blog); I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!
It's called "Haunting Our Homes: Nightmares of Gentrification."
http://www.pd.org/~chea/Perforations/perf29/sm1.pdf
Thanks for reading...

Hi Sam,

I enjoyed your article quite a bit too. There's some very good insight in there, I think, although I personally would have brought out a bit more the way some of the film makers involved (Romero springs to mind) aren't interested so much in monsterizing the homeless/poor/working class so much as making those monsters the representation of a retaliation or what have you that is both richly deserved and just. Of course, the kind of othering impulse you talk about does happen in some (most?) horror/haunted house movies, but there are certainly times when the film maker (and audience?) are effectively on the side of the audience.

Glad you liked the Joy Division article - did you have a blog yourself?

at last! Looking forward to reading this when I get home. Scott

I was going to email you, I swear!

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates