« Home | "The Martians are always coming." » | Oh, shit! » | Heirlooms » | "I want people to be afraid of how much they love ... » | Eat the music » | Don't act so innocent » | Space dust » | I wanna bring you too » | Sudden and sad » | 26 » 

Monday, August 20, 2007 

Ups and downs

I was awoken about 8:30 this morning by one of my bed legs collapsing. The mattress? Great. The box spring? Just fine. The crappy Ikea wooden legs? Fucking horrible. I should have gotten the metal ones, I guess - I didn't really examine them but they seemed to bolt upwards into the bed instead of sideways, which just seems like an obviously dumb idea. Even better, to remove the legs I had to hammer them with a wrench for five minutes apiece, always my idea of a good time, especially when one flies right out of my hand and mildly gashes my leg.

On the other hand, I've got two things up today at Stylus, both of which I'm pretty proud of: My review of the new Monkey Swallows the Universe disc, and my On Second Thought on Paul Simon's surprisingly sublime The Rhythm of the Saints.

I have this theory about IKEA products that goes like this: either they are cheap and fantastic and last forever (like the Billy bookcase), or they're cheap and crappy and break in two seconds (like my dresser and your bed).

This theory seems to be getting more evidence behind it. Eeeexcelent.

I will second that for sure - my bookshelves are great, my bed, well you saw pieces of that go out in the garbage and I'm sleeping on a mattress on the floor.

I may be heading to Ikea with Trish in the near future if you want me to pick up the metal legs you mentioned.

You should contact Ikea and let them know what happened - you never know, if you mention that you were even mildly injured by this they might offer you something for free, something like metal feet for the bed.

Not being the most practical person in the world, I still live in fear of the DIY bed I assembled single-handedly collapsing in the middle of the night. Still, it's lasted over three months now, so that's not too bad...

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates