« Home | I was only dancing » | You won't be sad or broken tonight » | Plusses and minuses » | List, o list » | "...than the one you did in Canada" » | Shut up and drive » | Our long national nightmare is over » | Gonna kiss up to the Great Misgiver » | And don't misunderstand me » | What else don't I know? » 

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 

In defence of snark

Adam Sternbergh has written an interesting, compelling and I think necessary counterpoint to David Denby's new book Snark: It’s Mean, It’s Personal, and It’s Ruining Our Conversation. As someone who is both part of a generation that has definitely embraced snark and also as a person who tends to be snarky, I think Sternbergh has a much better handle on it.

Yes, it can be damaging (as can sarcasm, and I suppose the only difference between snarkiness and sarcasm is that snark can be more straightforward), but it certainly doesn't have to be. It strikes me that to attack snark as a whole is about as sensible as getting mad at, say, flippancy (and I say that as someone who admittedly uses flippancy to avoid more sincere emotions sometimes). Certainly is someone is sarcastic, or snarky, or glib all the time, without regards to context, that's damaging. But this is a real baby-with-the-bathwater situation.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates