« Home | Do you remember when 21 years was old? » | Are you ready? » | Happy Christmas your arse » | Slipped my mind (it continues pt. 4) » | A beloved holiday tradition » | "That was brutal, man." » | Kinetakt » | drone love honesty sound » | It continues pt. 3 » | I hate my husband, I hate my children » 

Thursday, December 31, 2009 

Cleaning up

So I hope everyone is going to have a good New Year's Eve tonight... I've been running around trying to get all of my ducks in a row, so here's a bunch of stuff I've meant to link recently.

Whatever the truth (or 'truth') behind the concept/character/music/whatever, I hope we can all agree that Andrew WK is awesome. I've already seen some pretty dumb/overly literal responses to that video pop up online, but I think it's not that hard to figure out what he's saying.

On a much more sober note, Ned Ragget posted this video in honour of Patrick Stewart's impending knighthood and all around greatness. Which said video, while quite moving and harrowing, only confirms.

Andrew Unterberger has been counting down the top 100 most 00s songs, and he just wrapped it up; love or hate any of his selections, you have to admire the depth and ability of the writing on display there. I always love Andrew's lists, and this one was a doozy.

I haven't had much going up of my own work, but RA did post my review of the fine Astral Social Club album that no-one seems to be paying attention to. It's really very good.

My friend Rachel has been working as an intern for Merge (nice work if you can get it), and they put up a brief year-end list for her. It's pretty adorable.

And lastly, to play us out of 2009, DJ Earworm's latest United State of Pop ultra-mashup. I love these for a few reasons; Earworm restricts himself to the Billboard top 25, which keeps things interesting, he's got a keen ear for how to fit all these songs together, and he usually manages to layer on the emtional high points/crescendos/party moments in all that pop until the result is as heady, kaleidoscopic and mythic feeling as a good Grant Morrison superhero comic. Let's hope he keeps doing these every year. Enjoy, and have a good night!



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates