« Home | Errors and distortions » | Rail God » | Fantastically exciting » | The name not of the solution but of the challenge » | Realisation » | I'd like to see that » | Counterintuitive? » | Incredibly exciting » | Garnished with tasty files » | Torture and 24 » 

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 

Odd environments

On the way to the gym from work, the grass slid and crunched beneath my feet. If I'd had time and a camera and didn't hate walking on nearly frictionless surfaces, I probably could have gotten some good pictures - every blade of grass, like everything else that was outside, was covered in a film of ice.

When I went outside to go to work it looked like bare pavement after the rain. Even after I'd nearly fallen on my first step I couldn't see the ice. But it was there, and the area outside of my building was unsalted. It's not the most extreme weather we've had all winter (it never got really cold like it did yesterday), but it is the worst.

Walking to the gym, I tried to focus on the positive: At least there probably wouldn't be as many people as Monday. And there wasn't, but not by much. This is the first time I've had the money to buy my gym membership for more than one semester at a time, and so the first semester I've been able to go right away. Part of me wishes I hadn't - the place is clogged with people that I can only assume based on the past two years will stop coming soon, forgetting resolutions and the like. I've had to fight for equipment the last two times I've been in. I like my nice, peaceful, deserted summer gym.

The weather was similar in Waterloo today, though not quite as picturesque; it was the worst of both worlds. It took me twice as long as usual to walk to and from work, just because of the ice.

And all this talk of gyms reminds me that I really should start going to the gym again. :-|

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates