« Home | Exchange » | Meeeeeeeeeeme! » | Not actually that clever » | Double shot » | Diagnosis of a foreign frame of heart » | Voot! » | "Why am I not happy?" » | Early but late » | iPop » | Good Bible » 

Friday, February 10, 2006 

Sing Lazarus

So we saw Constantines last night at the Vinyl. I managed to get all five of the band to autograph Dad's copy of Tournament Of Hearts for his birthday, and although he and Cait left before the show was over (I was at the front,I didn't know they had gone) I think they enjoyed it. I know Ben did, and he hadn't seen them before. They remain, I think, the best Canadian live band out there (as well as close to the top of best live band period, and their recorded work isn't exactly a let down either). I wasn't terribly impressed with their opener (Jon-Rae and the River), but the Cons were predictably amazing - especially considering they played lots and lots of old stuff, including one so old that although I've heard them play it live before when they lived in Guelph I don't know the title. Some of the highlights were predictable ("Young Offenders" is always going to be crucial, the crowd wanted to hear "On To You" all night), but as always a couple of the best performances were surprises; a hornless version of "Lizaveta" that made up for it by being crushingly heavy, their version of Talking Heads' "Thank You For Sending Me An Angel", even "Sub-Domestic" sounded good.

Also, they had copies of the vinyl split with the Unintended where the Unintended play all Gordon Lightfoot songs and Constantines play all Neil Young songs - all obscure choices, but what I'm really looking forward to is their version of "Don't Be Denied".

Unfortunately I also got an elbow drop on my left shoulder thanks to a drunken idiot (I'm pretty sure it was unintentional, but my left shoulder was already sore from a couple of other things and it's been bugging me all today - I almost belted the guy).

I didn't get a set list, but I know the following comprises all of the songs they played. Except for the encore the order may be a bit off, though.

Constantines, Club Vinyl, February 9 2005
Draw Us Lines
Hotline Operator
Some Party
Young Lions
Young Offenders
Soon Enough
Sub-Domestic
Working Full-Time
Lizaveta
Steal This Sound or To The Lullabies*
Nighttime Anytime (It's Alright)
Justice
(old song)
Thieves
Shine A Light
Arizona
Seven A.M.

Encore:
Scoundrel Babes
Thank You For Sending Me An Angel
On To You

*(I can never remember which is which without the CDs, and Ben has stolen my copy - it's the one with Steve singing)

I think they're especially great when playing in Guelph.

I think you're right - they really dig into the catalog and pay old favourites here, and tell more stories between songs, and generally just get into it more (it helps that the crowd is always really into it). I get the sense other cities get shows like this on a good night, but we always do - and when they get really into it, it's just amazing.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates