« Home | Treadmills » | Isolating yet relaxing » | Guilt is a useless emotion » | I didn't think this was what they meant by "heat d... » | Not exactly Mechwarrior » | Timing » | We're in Canada, for pete's sake » | The great indoors » | Unit bias » | If you don't take my hand, I lose my mind » 

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 

Got to do it

Why is it that even now, five years later, having a car pull up next to me that's playing Andrew WK's I Get Wet puts a broad grin on my face?

In completely unrelated news, the sky to the north of my building right now is easily the evillest sky I've ever seen. I wish a camera could capture it. Sure, the rest of the sky is dark blue and dusky, but to that direction it looks positively malignant. Looks like we're about to be stormed on again, thank god.

Weirdly, I was just explaining Andrew WK to someone yesterday!

How does one explain him? I've tried repeatedly, but always failed.

Quite - Andrew WK exists in the hinterland beyond logic and reasoning.

On a completely unrelated note, you might be interested in the Guardian article I've linked to here - it relates to your Daydream Nation review quite neatly.

I think your point in your post is absolutely correct. Any person can love any record if they just listen to it often enough (yes, even me and Daydream Nation); the hallmark of a "bad" album is one which the number of plays is not worth the effort, in your opinion.

And of course context can make a huge difference as to whether or not it's "worth it" - the gentleman at the Guardian gave Beefheart, and I gave Sonic Youth, far more chances than we would have if they weren't so lionized. I still have EVOL and Rather Ripped on my hard drive, but only because I respect the people who hoped I would love them so much, and so I want to give them a few more listens even though I am pretty sure I will continue to be woefully underwhelmed.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates