« Home | I'm not dead yet » | They got it for cheap(?) » | My night is coloured headache grey » | Until the end of the world » | Bwa ha ha » | Smooth move, Ex-lax » | Mixed blessings » | Plug me in » | I wanna hold your hand » | I am young and I am lost » 

Sunday, December 03, 2006 

It's like an echo in my head

If you told me when I was a kid that the girl who sang the excrable "Show Me Love" would go on to make one of my favourite albums of 2005, I would have laughed at you. If you'd told me she'd be able to do this, I don't even know what my reaction would be:



You can dislike this song, of course. But it kind of makes you an asshole.

I dunno. If I'm an asshole if I don't like the song, doesn't that imply an objective evaluation for artistic endeavours? for aesthetics?

I do like the song though.

Wait - so are you saying this is Robyn (or Robin or however the hell she spells her name)? I'm impressed, although she might consider opening her eyes once in a while - for the first bit I thought her and Jeff Healey should do a tour.

I prefer the studio version, mostly 'cause I'm a sucker for big surging string sections, but that was really nice -- thanks for putting it up.

In order:

1. Yes it would, if I had actually been serious about that bit. But I'd been grading papers for about 16 hours at that point, so...

Ian is allowed to be facetious on his own blog, sir!

2. I'm glad you like the song.

3. Yep, that's her - I think her 2005 album that I adore is getting a UK release soon, at which point I'll probably import it. And I'm not responding to that Jeff Healey crack, because it's beneath me.

4. You are welcome - I prefer the studio version to (those strings on the chorus alone make me well up), but as with "Heartbeats" this is one of those songs that I think I love no matter the version. There's another one of her doing it live with nothing but a string section and an enthusiastic drummer that is very impressive.

You forget that I have heard your jokes and therefore know that the joke in question isn't even close to being beneath you.

You're right. Do you know what is beneath me, though?

Your mom.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates