« Home | Doorstop » | Drums keep pounding a rhythm to the brain » | Take your shoes and go outside » | YES » | Poor Tom's a-cold » | Oddly terrifying » | Maybe I should say hi » | Re-performance » | "I'm fired. I'm getting fired." » | Ludicrously sober » 

Monday, March 19, 2007 

We all falter

Also, I don't suppose anyone with a car wants to randomly go see Jesu in Toronto tomorrow night, huh? This is making me want to go.

The drive to pick you up would be a bit much, but otherwise...

Thanks for the link to that piece. Made me want to hang out with the guy more than see him live. I really enjoy the Jesu albums, but every clip and write-up I've seen makes me think it is just not a live experience worth having.

Really? The live clips make the show seem pretty compelling to me. Do you have any of the write-ups to hand?

If I remember where or if I come across them again I'll send them your way. It was a couple of bloggers and maybe one published review. I know a few people on ILX caught them live and were not impressed with the sound, which they attributed to Jesu because Isis sound-wise was fine. My friendly neighborhood record store manager caught them in Philadelphia and was really, really heart-broken.

What was bothering me most in the clips was his voice - I know he's all Pro Tooled to hell with pitch correction and effects on the album, but the echo/reverb he was using live just amplified is inability to sing live. And though the guitar sounded solid, there is no way to properly recreate dozens upon dozens of overdubs live.

Personally, I just don't think the Jesu recordings are reducible to what is necessary for live performance, especially not as a three piece.

That's fair. I didn't mind his voice in the clips, though.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates