« Home | Conceptual whiplash » | We are so happy to have you join the team! » | I was looking for a job and then I found a job » | A tentative yes to ankle socks » | None more black » | Slight return » | I'm just way too tired » | Quick, look elsewhere! » | Being self important is all I have » | Whoopsy » 

Saturday, June 23, 2007 

"That room is fucking evil."

I may be more susceptible to a good scary movie than some people I know, but I found 1408 pretty riveting. It's got a minimum of the jump-cuts that I hate (it's cheating - being startled is not the same as being scared) and even though most of the movie is just John Cusack alone in a room that's trying to kill him, it kept my attention. Nice build up to the room, too.

Don't get me wrong - there are special effects galore, and once it abandons the fairly subtler psychological scares of the first part for full on Silent Hill-isms I think it lost something (although I was still pretty damn scared - there are still, as with The Ring and The Exorcist, parts of this movie I haven't seen), but it's definitely the scariest movie I've seen at the Galaxy in a while. I usually go to horror movies to laugh (they're pretty much a replacement for action movies, aren't they?) but this one creeped me out. Later at the bar one of the TVs had an ad for 1408 and I found myself shivering a little.



Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates