« Home | Keep the streets empty for me » | Everything I talk about I talk about » | I'd rather snore » | Mini-Bush » | Exciting developments! » | You love it, you leave it, you can't kill everything » | The way of wrong power » | Get to know it in the dark » | A stronger world, a stronger loving world » | Please hold the line » 

Friday, March 27, 2009 

The sense of touch

I'd read some stuff about how long term isolation can cause mental problems, but this wide-ranging article at the New Yorker is utterly horrifying. I hope the problem isn't as bad up here, but in any case clearly changes need to be made. The scariest part? The only thing that keeps these "supermax" prisons going is the general public's sense that they're 'fair'....

It's a pretty disturbing article, isn't it?

Parts of it actually scared me, to the extent that some of my brain actually started working away at what I could do should I ever find myself in solitary confinement.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates