« Home | "whatcha think" » | When Hell is full » | Up came a fist » | There's a song on the radio with a "love you" line » | Load the guns, avoid sleep » | Production and reproduction » | You know, they've shown that being sufficiently ti... » | Everyone is almost done with me » | And a guy with any kind of courage / would maybe s... » | Close to nothing at all » 

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 

Don't fear seriousness

I admit that there is an element to this article (which I quite like) that is reactionary. I just don't care.

I like the comments on the legal aspects, but as social commentary, that article is a disaster. The rhetorical device of imagining his (considerably wealthy, apparently) Grandfather's lifestyle and contrasting it to the oh-so-horrible existence we lead today is the sort of thing that sounds convincing, but collapses under close examination. And he seems to be intent on shoehorning his own political beliefs into the urge for personal responsbility, some of which have nothing to do with adulthood at all - see the comment on the market, for instance.

I'd have to go the opposite of you, sorry. I have to admit I like an element of that article that I like, despite it being painfully reactionary.

Well, it seems that I haven't had enough coffee today to get my coherency skills going.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates