« Home | Load the guns, avoid sleep » | Production and reproduction » | You know, they've shown that being sufficiently ti... » | Everyone is almost done with me » | And a guy with any kind of courage / would maybe s... » | Close to nothing at all » | And oh, how cute you seemed » | But... but... it was what we wanted! » | Making the grade » | I'd taser a 14-year-old. I'd taser him right in t... » 

Monday, October 23, 2006 

There's a song on the radio with a "love you" line

At some point, without my noticing, the Psychedelic Furs became one of my favourite 80s bands. Very few of their peers (a few obvious titans notwithstanding) managed to marry tenderness and ugliness as well as they did, possessing either the kind of squall the Furs could muster up or a singer with a perfectly bad a voice as Richard Butler's, but not both.

Of course, it's to their advantage that All of This and Nothing is a nearly perfect compilation - it doesn't grab everything worthwhile they ever did, no (I can hear some friends yelling at me to pick up the albums, dammit); But it's that rare best-of that serves as both a perfect introduction if you're going to go further but also arguably all you'll ever need. A lot of these bands make me cringe when I see a 5-6 minute track coming up, but Richard Butler and company made all that repetition and excess work for them until something like "Imitation of Christ" or "Dumb Waiters" is as compelling as their lesser brethren's two-minute stompers (to say nothing of the ballads).

You're right about that comp's marvelousness; for many years it was all I owned. I was wrong.

Maybe at some point, with more time/space/money, I'll get more. For now, I'm good.

Would you like me to repost Forever Now?

..............................sure.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates