« Home | Don't fear seriousness » | "whatcha think" » | When Hell is full » | Up came a fist » | There's a song on the radio with a "love you" line » | Load the guns, avoid sleep » | Production and reproduction » | You know, they've shown that being sufficiently ti... » | Everyone is almost done with me » | And a guy with any kind of courage / would maybe s... » 

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 

Why can't these guys make more than one great album?

I have a headache. I have a sore back. I have a letter I can't send. I have desire. It falters and falls down. Calls you up drunk at three or four AM to wonder when. Wonderful. All the cheap tricks I tried too hard not to pull. Pulled along or pulled apart. The diagnosis of a foreign frame of heart. I have a story that I'd like to tell you. It's littered with settings and second takes. I have a feeling that hums with the street lights and hides under ice in always frozen lakes. My mistake to make you cringe. Another greeting like a broken creaky hinge to oil and push or pry apart. The diagnosis of a foreign frame of heart. Found a cure for being sure, and, sure as anything, I'll smile for my reckoning. Oil and push, pry apart. The diagnosis of a foreign frame of heart.

I think I need to borrow Fallow from you then (that's the album it's off right?). And I don't know - I enjoyed both Reconstruction Site and Left and Leaving.

I don't own Fallow. Because it's not that good. Left and Leaving is an utter classic, one of the best albums Canadian music has ever produced - Reconstruction Site has some good tracks, but it's a bit of a damp squib when you get right down to it.

But aren't the lyrics you just posted from a track on Fallow?

I move in mysterious ways, my wonders to perform.



More seriously, yes, they are; my point, to the extent that I have one, is that even on such an underwhelming disc you can find examples of why John K. Samson is one of the best and most distinctive songwriters our country has ever produced. So why has lightning only struck once? Because, seriously, aside from this track and "Wellington's Wednesdays" I really didn't enjoy Fallow that much.

Also, "Diagnosis" happened to be the song that was playing that prompted me to post about them at all.

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates