« Home | You're no doubt wondering » | At last » | Quaffing » | Probably the last one » | "I have always been a storm" » | Could it be me? » | Gelatinous bastards » | Happy anniversary » | Holy crap » | Why couldn't they combine all three, though? » 

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 

Financial ruin

I (and least some, maybe all of my classmates from the MA Seminar) didn't get a TAship for next semester. It's pretty unexpected, and I figure it's about 80% likely I'll have to withdraw for at least a semester.

Fuck.

Man does that blow! Yuck.

Hope something comes through.

They didn't give you any sort of explanation? That's messed up - especially since didn't you say there were no new people coming in next semester?

I haven't even got an email telling me I haven't got one, let alone an explanation - but the emails telling people they have a TAship went out yesterday early in the afternoon.

I figure there are a few options; either enough people will decide they don't want the TAship they're offered that it'll trickle down to me (yeah, right) or else I could apply for and get one in another department (also vanishingly unlikely), or I can try to arrange some sort of GRA (Graduate Research Assistanceship) or other means of funding. I think the latter is also pretty unlikely.

As for an explanation... there are no new people coming in, but one of my fellow grad students (who also didn't get a TAship) pointed out something I didn't think of, which is that apparently enrollment is always higher in the fall than in the winter, which makes sense.

That sucks! Isn't there anything you can do about it? I mean, haven't you been a TA for a while, or are the people who (presumably) have a TSship have more TA seniority than you?pnirk

Post a Comment


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.

About me

Ian Mathers is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in Stylus, the Village Voice, Resident Advisor, PopMatters, and elsewhere. He does stuff and it magically appears here.

Contact Me:
imathers at gmail dot com

My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates